A brief info of Mathematics, its uses and perceptions of Great Persons about mathematics.
A brief info of Mathematics, its uses and perceptions of Great Persons about mathematics:
Mathematics is a branch of Science that deals with Numbers, Quantity,Space,Structure & Change. Mathematics develops Objectivity and aptitude. A person starts thinking logically in real life with the knowledge of mathematics. There is great breadth, depth, complexity and beauty in the discipline of mathematics. God used beautiful mathematics in creating this elegance World. Mathematics is a methodical application of matter. It makes our life methodical/systematic, orderly and prevents chaos.There are certain qualities that are nurtured by mathematics: Power of Reasoning, Creativity, Abstract or Spatial thinking, Problem solving ability and critical thinking. Mathematics offers rationality to our thoughts. It is a tool in our hands to make our life simple and easier. The more mathematical we are in our approach, the more successful we will be. We should realise and appreciate the beauty of subject and embrace it with all our heart.
Mathematics is the cradle of all creations, without which the world cannot move an inch. Everyone uses math whether they realise or not. The Web search engine works on the principle of Markov chains. Markov chains are the gift of Russian Mathematician Andrey Markov who helped to reach this idea to zenith.Markov chain is also used as a tool to analyse the properties of Page Rank. The Google Page Rank is one method that the search engine google uses to determine the importance of a page.
We know that mathematics is applied directly or indirectly in our everyday life. Be a Cook,Barber,Farmer,Carpenter, Mechanics, Shopkeeper,Doctor,Engineer,Scientist,Musician or a Magician- everyone needs mathematics in their day to day life. A real world example of algebra is in Pricing. The concept of proportions between ingredients is used by chefs to cook tasty meals, other wise the restaurant will soon run out of customers. The people on medication needs to understand different dosage of medicines. Mathematics is even used by insects in there everyday life of existence: for example, Snails makes their shells, Spider design their webs & bees build hexagonal patterns in nature’s fabrics.
But there are some areas in mathematics,eg. Statistics that are sarcastically referred as lies and damed lies if not used with proper thinking & wisdom. For example, nowadays Newspapers & TV news are full of statistics . These are used to make all kinds of arguments. With understanding of how statistics work you don’t need to rely so much on what the ‘experts’ tell you, you can make up your own mind. Statistics can be used to deceive people who don’t understand it. But the same statistics can be used for good causes like understanding the way diseases spread and effects of global warming etc. . Without Statistics we don’t know what worked and what didn’t.
Mathematics can be either as abstract concepts(Pure Mathematics) or as applied to other disciplines such as physics and engineering(Applied Mathematics). When mathematical structure are good methods of real life phenomena, the mathematical reasoning can provide insights or predictions about nature. G.H.Hardy was one of the world’s leading mathematicians in the first half of 20th century. In his book “A mathematician’s Apology”, he elaborated the difference between pure and applied mathematics.
- Fields Medal– Considered as Mathematician’s ‘Nobel prize’. Established in 1936 & awarded every four years to as many as four individuals under age of 40 years.Its purpose is to give recognition and support to younger mathematical researchers who have made major contributions.
- Abel Prize– It is also considered as Mathematician’s ‘Nobel prize. It differs with Fields medal in only age restriction criteria. Established in 2001 by the government of Norway.
- Wolf prize-Recognises life time achievements in mathematics(Basically It is awarded in six fields:Agriculture,Chemistry, Mathematics,Medicine,Physics, and an Art prize that rotates between architecture, music, painting, and sculpture). It is international award granted in Israel.
- Chern Medal– It is an international recognising Lifelong achievements of highest level in fields of mathematics.The prize is given at the International Congress of Mathematics (ICM), which is held every four years.
- Leelavati Award-It is an award for outstanding contribution to public outreach in mathematics. It is given on the name of indian mathematician Bhaskara-II treatise ‘Lilavati’.Established by the Executive Organising Committee (EOC) of the ICM with the endorsement of the IMU Executive Committee (EC) & given first time in 2010.
- “Mathematics is the Queen of Sciences” and “arithmetic is the Queen of Mathematics”: Carl Friedrich Gauss.
- Mathematics is the most beautiful and most powerful creation of human spirit: Stefan Banach.
- Mathematics is the Music of reason: James Joseph Sylvester.
- No human investigation can be called real science,if it cannot be demonstrated mathematically: Leonardo Da Vinci.
- “The universe cannot be read until we have learned the language and become familiar with the characters in which it is written. it is written in mathematical language and the Letters are triangles, circles and other geometrical figures without which means it is humanly impossible to comprehend a single word. Without these, one is wandering about in a dark labyrinth”: Galileo Galilei.
- Mathematics as an expression of human mind reflects the aesthetic perfection. Its basic elements are logic and intuition, analysis and construction , generality and individuality: Richard courant.
- If people do not believe that Mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realise how complicated Life is: John Von Neumann.
- The study of Mathematics like the Nile, begins in minuteness but ends in magnificence: Charles Caleb Colton.
- Without Mathematics, there is nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics: Shakuntala Devi.
- Pure Mathematics, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas: Albert Einstein.
- A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn’t there: Charles Darwin.
- I do not believe in mathematics: Albert Einstein.
- He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp post-for support rather than illumination: Andrew Lang.
- There are three kinds of lies- Lies,Damed lies and Statistics: Benjamin Disraeli.
- MATH- Mental Abuse To Human: Anonymous.